- Jessica Luft
An Important Skin Health Secret
Did you know that your skin is designed to be waterproof? If it wasn't what do you think would happen if you have a bath or go for a swim. This means when it comes to hydrating your skin it has to come from the inside - from what you drink and the foods you eat you are either nourishing your skin or depleting it.
Though it sounds too simple to be true, there are several reasons why drinking adequate amounts of water throughout the day can reap tremendous benefits for your skin.
1. When you are well hydrated, your organs (yes, your skin is an organ) are able to perform more optimally. Your skin is your largest organ and if your cells are dehydrated, they become flaky and tighter, plus your skin will age faster.
2. Natural waste is produced in your body each day from basic functions such as breathing and digesting food. Getting rid of these toxins is crucial for yourskin. Toxins are stored in fat cells which causes inflammation and many skinissues such as acne and eczema are linked to inflammation. Drinking enough water is key to regularly flushing toxins from your body.
3. When you are dehydrated, this restricts blood flow to each cell in your body, including skin cells. Reduced blood volume contributes to lower energy levels and poor circulation.
4. By drinking enough water, you’ll naturally end up taking in fewer calories as you'll become full and avoiding high-calorie sugar-loaded drinks (i.e. energy, pop, fruit juices). If you want to add some flavor, go ahead and toss in some of your favourite fruits and vegetables for an added hydration boost. Some of my favs are lemon which helps to alkalinize your body, and berries which are packed full of amazing antioxidants that fight free radical damage.
5. Water is critical in supporting the digestive system as it helps break down food and aid in elimination.
6. How much should you drink every day you ask? A good rule of thumb is to take your body weight in pounds and divide in half and drink that amount in ounces. For example, a 150lb person should drink 75oz each day.
Did you know that 75% of people are chronically dehydrated?
Did you know the adult human body is made up of up to 60% water?
This may sound simple but it really is a skin changer. Cheers to staying hydrated!